With the borders opening, Royal Enfield plans a Himalayan & Adventure Weekend of roving around the Byron Bay hinterland on their bikes and in Land Rovers.
The border between Queensland and NSW opens on July 10, just in time for this roving adventure on July 18-19.
However, Queensland riders will still have to obtain an entry pass and may face a long queue when they return across the border as police check your credentials.
RE spokesman Mal Jarrett says they have been planning the adventure for a while and have been fortunate with the timing.
“Salt Creek Motorcycles is an adventure tour company based in Ballina that uses Himalayans exclusively,” he says.
“The Adventure Garage shares the same shed in Ballina and runs Land Rover adventure tours in the same locale, so it made sense to run an event in unison.”
Riders will find they are roving the beautiful Byron Bay hinterland and Border Ranges roads – both tar and gravel.
The overnight camp is on private land near Kunghur/UKI, NSW, which is a private property with 3500 acres to explore by bike and 4WD and spectacular views of the Border Ranges and NightCap.
While the adventure is best suited for Himalayan adventure bikes, we imagine there will be some riders on other Royal Enfields which are quite competent in many gravel road conditions.
Anyway, Salt Creek Motorcycles have a couple of Himalayans for hire at $260 for the two days.
Riders will be joined by Land Rover owners on the trek.
They say they will have qualified senior first-aid personnel attending and a briefing to ensure the vehicles are separated for safety.
There will also be a support vehicle and trailer to transport your gear on both days.
The event is not associated with Land Rover Australia but is restricted to Land Rover owners.
Click here to make bookings and enquiries with Salt Creek Motorcycles.
Roving weekend details
- Start: 7.30am, 18 July 2020, 2/39 Southern Cross Drive, Ballina, NSW 2478
- End: 3pm, 19 July at the same place or Seven Mile Brewery around the corner
- Cost: $100 each or $150 per duo
- Includes: Camp fee, Saturday nibbles and dinner, and Sunday breakfast
What to bring:
- Swag or Tent, sleeping mat and bedding. Swags are available for hire for just $25.
- Backpack with at least 1L water or Camelback
- Warm and waterproof clothing in addition to your bike gear as it will be chilly at night;
- Personal medication, cash and some snacks