15 years after the original Rocket III broke the roadster motorcycle mould, Triumph have now upped the ante with a long anticipated release of vastly improved and essentially all-new models for 2020.
It is too early for accurate price indications as yet, but we understand that it is anticipated that the new Rocket III will sell for roughly around $35,000 AUD when it arrives late this year.
The Triumph Rocket III R is expected to arrive in Australia around December, 2019, with stocks of the Rocket III GT arriving in the first month of 2020.
At 2458 cc the new Rocket III boasts the world’s largest production motorcycle engine. Triumph claim the uprated new engine cranks out 11 per cent more power (165 hp), than the previous generation of the machines, and delivers the highest torque of any production motorcycle you can buy with 221 Nm at 4,000 rpm. It also revs higher than ever before with the new mill red-lining at 7000 rpm.
Those numbers promise some impressive thrust from the lights with both the Rocket III R and Rocket III GT more than 40 kg lighter than their predecessor. Claimed dry weight for the Rocket 3 R is 291 kg while the Rocket 3 GT registers 294 kg dry on the scales.
Both variants of the machine look fantastic, with the striking design of the headers on the right-hand-side of the machine providing a hot-rod look with the promise of performance.
The brakes are provided by Brembo while Showa equips both models of the new Rocket 3 with fully-adjustable 47 mm forks and shock. The front wheel travel is 120 mm while the rear arcs through 107 mm.
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 R and Rocket 3 GT Specifications
- Engine – Inline 3-cylinder, water-cooled, DOHC
- Capacity – 2,458cc
- Bore/Stroke – 110.2 mm x 85.9 mm
- Maximum Power – 165 bhp (123 kW) at 6,000rpm
- Maximum Torque – 221Nm at 4,000rpm
- Fuel system – Ride-by-wire, fuel injected
- Exhaust – Stainless 3-into-1 headers with 3 exit silencer / CAT box
- Final drive – Shaft, bevel box
- Clutch – Hydraulic, torque-assist
- Gearbox – 6 speed
- Frame – Full aluminium frame
- Instruments – TFT multi-functional instrument pack with digital speedometer, trip computer, digital tachometer, gear position indicator, fuel gauge, service indicator, ambient temperature, clock and rider modes (Rain/Road/Sport/Rider-configurable) – Triumph TFT Connectivity System can be added with accessory fitted Bluetooth module
- Swingarm – Single-sided, cast aluminium
- Front Wheel – 17 x 3.5in cast aluminium
- Rear Wheel – 16 x 7.5in cast aluminium
- Front Tyre – 150/80 R17 V
- Rear Tyre – 240/50 R16 V
- Front Suspension – Showa 47mm upside-down 1+1 cartridge front forks, compression and rebound adjuster. 120mm travel
- Rear Suspension – Fully adjustable Showa piggyback reservoir RSU with remote hydraulic preload adjuster, 107mm rear wheel travel.
- Front Brake Dual 320mm discs, Brembo M4.30 Stylema® 4-piston radial monobloc calipers, Cornering ABS
- Rear Brake Single 300mm disc, Brembo M4.32 4-piston monobloc caliper, Cornering ABS
- Seat Height 773mm (Rocket III GT 750mm)
- Rake 27.9º
- Trail 134.9 mm
- Dry Weight 291 kg (Rocket III GT 294 kg)
- Fuel Tank Capacity 18 L
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 R and Rocket 3 GT Accessories
The new Rocket 3 R and GT can be personalised to suit the rider’s preferences with over fifty genuine Triumph accessories that have all been designed, engineered and tested alongside the development of these all-new motorcycles.
The new Rocket 3 luggage range:
- Innovative Triumph patented cast aluminium pannier ‘retractable & ‘lockable’ mounting system
- 20L sports panniers
- 12L magnetic tank bag
- Innovative Triumph patented 9L quick-release tail pack
New comfort accessories include:
- Roadster and touring handlebars
- Touring and sport seat
- Rider seat pad
- Comfort pillion seat
- Passenger backrest and pads with billet machined plate
- Passenger backrest rack
- Forward and mid foot controls
- Knee pads
New style accessories include:
- Sport screen
- LED indicators (*in applicable markets)
New security accessories include:
- Track+ Thatcham approved tracker with 24/7 monitoring by UK-based secure call-centre
- Protect+ Thatcham approved alarm system
- Disc lock
- Alarm disc lock
- Chain and lock
- Secure ground anchor
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 R and Rocket 3 GT ‘Highway’ Inspiration Kit
To showcase the additional level of touring capability that can be added to the Rocket 3, Triumph have combined a selection of luggage and touring focused accessories that riders can use as the starting point to design their own Rocket 3 R & GT, or to have fitted by their dealer as a complete set. The Highway inspiration kit includes:
- Luggage rack
- Sports panniers
- Pannier mount kit
- Triumph Shift Assist
- Triumph TFT Connectivity System