A guide to scrapping your motorbike

(Guest post for our UK readers)

When it comes to scrapping a motorbike, moped or scooter there are certain rules that you must consider in the UK. The DVLA make it necessary for you to comply to strict rules and if scrapping with a company, they must be authorised by the government and known as an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF).

Most scrappage services are free, however if you want to get rid of your motorbike you must ensure that all of the fluids must be removed, as well as the tyres, wheels and battery in order to help preserve and protect the environment. If your vehicle is missing parts, the scrapping company could possibly charge you if those parts are essential to the vehicle.

Once your motorbike has been crushed, the company will provide you with a Certificate of Destruction, this can be handed over up to seven days after you have dropped the vehicle off. If you fail to show proof of your CoD then you could receive a fine of up to £80 and be prosecuted, so it is essential that you get one once the motorbike has been crushed. The scrapping company will inform the DVLA that the vehicle has been scrapped, however you will have to complete and send off section 9 of your log book to the DVLA. You should receive a letter within a few weeks of sending the information to confirm that the DVLA have it.

You also need to be aware that as of new rules and regulations, you are not legally allowed to accept cash payments from the scrapping company. The new law was introduced in order to make car scrapping a more regulated process by the government.

What documents do you need?

Scrapping your motorbike is a simple process, however you will need a few documents in order to process the scrappage. In order to have your vehicle scrapped at an ATF then you will need:

  • Owner manual and book
  • V5C registration certificate
  • Full/part service history

Don’t have your V5C or logbook? You will still be able to scrap your motorbike, instead of sending this off to the DVLA you will simply have to write to them and give them information on:

  • Details of the buyer
  • The date of the sale
  • To confirm the motorbike has been sold to be scrapped
  • The make, model and registration of the motorbike

If your motorbike has been written off

If you are not choosing to have your car scrapped and it has been written off by your insurance company then you will have to fill out section V5C/3 of your registration certificate and send this to the DVLA. It may be the possible that your insurance company will ask you to provide them with your certificate. There are four categories that your motorbike can fit into if it has been written off:

Category A: The vehicle must be destroyed as it cannot be repaired

Category B: The vehicle is not roadworthy and cannot be repaired therefore the shell must be destroyed, however other parts can be salvaged.

Category S: The vehicle is classified as ‘structurally damaged’. The vehicle could be considered roadworthy and used again if repaired to legal standards.

Category N: The vehicle is classed as ‘non-structurally damaged’, and can be driven after being repaired to legal standards.

Once you’ve decided if it’s time to have your motorbike scrapped you can take the procedures described above in order to make sure you do it in a safe and legal manner. Sites such as Car.co.uk will give you an instant online quote and collect the vehicle for you without any hassles.

Source: MotorbikeWriter.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *