The modern Brough Superior motorcycles are superior by name and superior by build and nature.
They are now being imported to Australia by industry stalwart Fred who has opened a showroom for the expensive bespoke machines in his business equipment offices at 6/281 Station Rd, Yeerongpilly, Brisbane. Click here for more details.
The model line-up is:
- SS100, $105,000 (Euro 3);
- SS100, $110,000 (Euro 4);
- Pendine Sand Racer, $105,000;
- Anniversary, $168,000;
- AMB 001, $185,000.
Feel the Superior quality
They may be expensive, but you can literally see and feel the quality.
For example, their traditionally shaped tanks are made of solid cast aluminium and are so thick they can be machined with all sorts of designs.
In fact, there is a lot of machined billet aluminium in the build from the fenders to the swingarm and forks.
The chassis is also machined titanium, plus there are exotic components such as Beringer brakes with quad discs — yes, that’s right four front discs!
Yet the bikes weigh about 186kg all up even though there are no lightweight plastic panels.
Unfortunately, my insurance wouldn’t let me take one for a test ride, but Fred did allow me a short ride around the warehouse carpark and suburban street.
It was enough to convince me that this is a very special machine.
Fire it up and it snarls as only an 88-degree V-twin can.
Then you pull the clutch in and it feels so light you would swear it is not connected. It’s the lightest I have ever felt.
Click it into gear and the transmission feels more like some precision surgical equipment than a mechanical gearbox.
A short trundle around the carpark and I’m sweating buckets worrying about dropping the machine.
But I’m also now considering crawling to the bank for a mortgage on the house!
Every detail of these bikes is immaculate, beautifully crafted and oozing with style.
There are virtually no panels to disguise messy wiring or components.
Everything is on show and everything is exquisite.
The craftsmen and women who build them are so proud, they have the name of each bike’s builder etched into a plate on the forks.
Even the bolts are all made of stainless steel.
We can understand that many collectors would be keen to buy them, but so far Fred says all their prospective customers have been motorcycle enthusiasts and riders.
SUPER SPORT 100 (SS100)
The SS100 is a cross between a café racer and a traditional sports motorcycle.
Only 300 units are planned.
PENDINE SAND RACER
In 1928, George Brough won a famous beach race at Pendine in Wales and in following years many Brough Superior victories were recorded there by other famous racers.
This new Pendine Sand Racer model pays homage to those victories with a very unique and contemporary take on a modern scrambler-styled motorcycle.
The Anniversary was created to celebrate the centenary of Brough Superior.
It is limited to just 100 numbered examples.
This creation is a collaboration with arguably the most famous British sports car brand, Aston Martin, who are now celebrating their 107th year of production.
Also limited to just 100 units worldwide, the track-only AMB 001 uses a turbo-charged version of the Brough Superior V twin engine and a unique chassis incorporating composite materials.
SuperSport 100 (SS100) tech specs
- Price: $110,000 (Euro 4) + on-road costs.
- Warranty: 2 two-year, unlimited-km (parts and labour); 2-year roadside assistance program.
- Engine: 997cc, 4-stroke, water-cooled, 88-degree V-twin; DOHC 4-valves per cylinder.
- Power: 75kW @ 9600rpm.
- Torque: 87Nm @ 7300rpm.
- Gearbox: 6-speed, chain drive.
- Weight: 186kg.
- Suspension front/rear: Fior-type cast aluminium wishbone fork with twin articulated titanium triangular links, and monoshock adjustable for preload and rebound damping, 120mm travel; cast aluminium swingarm pivoting in engine crankcases, with monoshock adjustable for preload and rebound damping and progressive rate link, 130mm travel.
- Brakes front/rear: 4x230mm Beringer stainless steel discs, 2×4-piston Beringer radial calipers; 1 x 230mm Beringer 4D stainless steel disc with 1 x two-piston Beringer caliper; ABS.
- Tyres: 120/70 – 18; 160/60 – 18.
- Length: 2180mm
- Height: 1108mm
- Wheelbase: 1540mm
- Fuel: 17.5-litre (4.5L reserve), 95 RON.