Riders may have to cool their engines for some time yet, but that doesn’t stop us dreaming of where we will go when the lockdown ends.
Protest groups around the world are demanding the lockdown ends now but we know that won’t be happening.
However, that doesn’t stop us dreaming of the day the travel bans are lifted and the borders are reopened.
Hopefully, you have hibernated your bike properly, had it on a trickle charger and have a full tank of very cheap petrol ready to go.
Meanwhile, you can dream about where you are going to ride when the bans are lifted and how long you will be away.
Making ends meet
I’m lucky enough to be able to continue to ride for my work, testing bikes (such as the Harley-Davidson Softail Standard above) and gear to make ends meet.
However, I have been responsible and limited my rides to short trips.
So my first ride after the lockdown will be a long trip with overnight stays … so long as that is allowed!
No doubt it will still be important to continue practising social distancing and safe hygiene.
- Riding solo or in a small group;
- Limiting stops along the way;
- Carrying spare disposable gloves for refuelling, etc;
- Paying by credit card, not cash;
- Practising social distancing;
- Maybe camping out rather than staying in hotels;
- Eating takeaway or cooking my own meals;
- Frequent hand washing and carrying my own sanitiser; and
- Carrying a thermometer for a daily temperature check.
Now I just have to stick a pin in a map of Australia and start planning the road trip.
No doubt anywhere will welcome the motorcycle tourism dollar after a tough period of drought, bushfires, floods and pandemic.
Where will you ride when lockdown ends? Leave your comments below.