A 47-year-old male rider has died in a collision with a car at the notoriously dangerous Minden turnoff on the Warrego Highway, Queensland, last night (27 February 2020).
Queensland Police say the rider was heading west on the highway about 7.20pm and turned into Lowood-Minden Road.
His bike collided with a car travelling east heading from Hattonvale.
Police say the rider was “pronounced deceased at the scene”.
The driver of the car, a 36-year-old Minden woman and a 12-year-old boy were transported to hospital with minor injuries.
An 18-year-old woman who was a passenger in the car was airlifted to Princess Alexandra Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
Our sincere condolences to the rider’s family and friends and our best wishes to the injured for a swift and full recovery.
Anyone who may have witnessed the accident or has dashcam footage is urged to contact police.
Quote this reference number: QP2000413301
Notorious Warrego intersection
The Warrego Highway intersection is notorious for accidents.
We’ve witnessed two crashes at the site over the years.
In recent year’s it’s been upgraded, but it probably now needs a flyover to cope with increased traffic from nearby urban developments.
It’s been a tragic week since Sunday with six deaths and an injury in the three eastern states.
- Yesterday, a rider was struck by a truck on Abecrombie Street at Ultimo in Sydney. The rider died in hospital and the driver absconded, but was later arrested by police nearby.
- Wednesday, a 34-year-old rider died in hospital three weeks after a crash near Warrnambool, Victoria.
- On Tuesday, a 53-year-old male rider died in a tragic twist of fate involving two other vehicles on the New England Highway, south of Toowoomba, Queensland. Police say a utility was waiting to turn right into Opportunity Drive at Clifton when it was struck from behind by a station wagon. The utility was propelled into the path of the rider heading north on the highway. He died at the scene.
- On the same day, a 24-year-old female rider was seriously injured in Brisbane in another three-vehicle crash, this time involving a bus and a utility.
- And last Sunday, two riders died in separate accidents on the Central Coast of NSW and in far west Queensland. NSW Police say a 59-year-old rider from Mardi died in a crash with a Mitsubishi SUV on the Great North Road, Bucketty. A 19-year-old rider died when he crashed at the intersection of Falcon and Duck streets, Longreach.