KTM had to abandon its world media launch of the new 890 R, dubbed the Super Scalpel, in the Canary Islands off Africa because of the pandemic.
However, the bike has been virtually launched on the KTM YouTube official channel and will arrive in Australia in May from $17,195 (plus on-road costs).
Based on the 790 Duke but with the bigger engine and improved dynamics, this solo seater is a much sharper tool, hence the name Super Scalpel.
The parallel-twin size increases from 799cc to 890cc with a slightly wider bore and longer stroke, more compression (13.5:1) and more aggressive cams.
That results in any impressive power boost from 78kW to 89 kW with torque up 15% from 86Nm to 99Nm.
Internals have been made lighter with a new balance shaft for smoother performance.
It also features racier ergonomics, performance Brembo brakes, fully adjustable WP APEX suspension, WP steering damper, slipper clutch, improved electronic rider aids and an optional up/down quickshifter.
The Super Scalpel is also a precision instrument with new electronic rider aids that include a new 6D lean angle sensor.
It allows some drift and there is an anti-wheelie control.
The three power modes are sport, street and rain and there is an optional track mode with launch control, nine levels of traction control and wheelie control switched off.
Super Scalpel sits 15mm higher with a seat height of 834mm and more ground clearance for better lean angles.
They say rider egos are also sportier with the rider sitting higher and further forward. There are also no pillion pegs.
Super Scalpel is shod with track-day Michelin Power Cup 2 tyres.
KTM 890 R tech specs
- Engine: 890cc, liquid-coole, 4-Stroke, DOHC, parallel twin
- Bore x stroke: 90.7 x 68.8mm
- Transmission: six-speed, slipper clutch, optional quickshifter
- Fuel: DKK Dell’Orto, 46 mm Throttle Body
- Frame: CroMoly Tubular Steel, Engine as Stressed Member, aluminium subframe
- Suspension: WP APEX USD 43mm forks, WP APEX Monoshock
- Travel: 140mm (front); 150mm (rear)
- Brakes: 320mm dual discs; 240mm
- Wheels: 3.50 x 17”, 5.50 x 17”
- Tyres: 120/70ZR17”; 180/55ZR17”
- Steering Angle: 24.3º
- Wheelbase: 1482mm
- Clearance: 206mm
- Seat: 834mm
- Tank: 14L
- Dry weight: 166kg