The best way riders can help local communities affected by devastating bushfires is to avoid the area for now, but plan a visit when the emergency has passed.
Riders are among the most beneficial tourists to local community economies because – unlike other motoring tourists – they take virtually nothing with them.
When they arrive at their destination, they need food, accommodation, fuel and other supplies from the local community.
Many motorcycle clubs and social media groups are already organising trips to these areas in coming months.
Royal Enfield Australia has also announced a five-day “Coastal Tour” departing from Melbourne on 7 March 2020, navigating the east coast to Noosa on 11 March.
The event is open to all Royal Enfield riders for the full ride or partial rides in their local areas. Click here to register.
Sports stars help out
Aussie sports stars and celebrities are also doing their bit to help, mainly by donating memorabilia for sale.
They include two-time Dakar rally winner Toby Price and MotoGP racer Jack Miller.
Toby is auctioning his starting jersey and pants with proceeds going to the NSW Rural Fire Service.
Current highest bid is still $13,001.
Auction closes on 18 January at 5pm (AEST).
If you can’t bid, please donate on this link. So far he has raised $2777.
Jack Miller’s MotoGP helmet
The auction is open worldwide until tomorrow (10 January 2020) at 5pm (AEST).
There is also a host of bushfire appeals to which you can donate:
• Australian Red Cross Disaster Response and Recovery Fund;
• WIRES Emergency Fund for Wildlife;
• Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park owner Dana Mitchell’s GoFundMe;
• Fire Relief Fund for First Nations Communities GoFundMe;
• Mallacoota Fires Support Fund for East Gippsland on GoFundMe;
• Australian photographer Kara Rosenlund’s koala crisis bushfire recovery GoFundMe;
• Mogo Zoo on the NSW South Coast GoFundMe established by MP Emma Husar;
• South Australian Adelaide Hills Wine Region Fire Appeal GoFundMe;
• A GoFundMe to rebuild the Bargo Dingo Sanctuary in NSW;
• The Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund appeal for fire-affected East Gippsland communities; and
• Zoos Victoria Bushfire Emergency Wildlife Fund.