(Contributed post for our North American readers)
Accident lawyers or personal injury lawyers will represent you in the court of law when you are bringing in a case against someone for injuries they caused. It works both ways; they can either pursue your case in the court or defend you if a case is filed against you. Whatever the case may be, choosing a personal accident lawyer is an important step to winning injury claims. However, be vigilant because personal injuries can only be filed within a specified timeframe or else the status of limitations will run its course and you won’t be able to file for any claims. So it’s imperative that you take out time to carefully carry out background research before hiring anyone. Here are 6 things you need to consider or do before hiring an accident lawyer:
1. Why do you need a Personal Injury lawyer in Bakersfield
Sincerely answering this question should reveal the specific type of lawyer you need. Personal injury or accident lawyers are different from other types of lawyers. They are well-schooled in that area of the law and are the best professionals to handle cases of personal injury. So the first thing to consider is how vast or good is the attorney you plan to employ. Any attorney you plan to employ must:
- Have a number of trial experiences
- Have a keen sense of negotiation
- Must have in-depth knowledge of all medical diagnoses and treatments related to personal injuries.
- Must understand negligence law and how to apply the same in court.
2. Make a list of Quality factors of a good attorney
The next thing you need to do is make a list of all the quality factors you need in a good attorney. When you begin the process of selection, you will want to know what the things that actually make a lawyer good. Armed with this list you can proceed to search for the right candidate. Here are some important things to consider:
- Location: Only licensed attorneys in your area can practice law within the place where the injury occurred.
- Area of Practice: Like every profession, choose only personal injury lawyers for your case.
- Reputation: Look for lawyers with a reputation of always winning cases. You stand a better chance of winning if you employ one, but their services might be costly.
- Trial Experience: This is a no-brainer, don’t employ a newbie to handle your case, they need trial experience before they are capable of winning cases.
3. Personal Referrals for good lawyers in Bakersfield
Once you have a checklist of all the qualities you want in a good personal injury lawyer the next stage is to look for those who match your criteria. Do you know of anyone who has used an accident lawyer in the past? Can they point you in the right direction of a good accident lawyer? If they can, then that’s a good place to start your search. However, don’t hire a personal lawyer without carrying out due diligence about them.
4. Google potential candidates
Google is a huge search engine that has the data basis of almost all practicing lawyers in every state. Google can be very region-specific by pointing you in the right direction of a good lawyer in your region. A good Google search with the right keywords can display amazing results of lawyers. Get a fill of the websites that crop up to see what they have to offer. A simple look at the website of lawyers will indicate what area of law they practice. Look for law firms with specialty interest in personal injury claims.
5. Use specific Web services
Using specific web services can reveal amazing results of specialized law firms. There are web services whose sole purpose is to connect clients with lawyers. However, be careful when you make use of a website because they can just be web directories or commercial repositories trying to make a buck out of your webpage visit. A specialized website called lawyers(dot)com is a good example of a site set up to connect individuals with the right lawyers In this site you are at liberty to search by city, etc. You will see a ranking with phone numbers, lawyer websites and general information.
6. Use Phone Contact Bar Association
You may consider using the phone contact bar association to determine and locate law firms. Talking directly to lawyers on the phone will give you firsthand information about their demeanor and character. Here’s how to go about it:
- Call your State’s bar association: Your state’s bar association will have a specific phone number dedicated to their lawyer referral service. For instance, Bakersfield has a state’s bar association number pasted on its website. Bakersfield is a city that covers about 151 sq meters and is near the Town Of San Joaquin. It is a charter city in kern country California with a population of about 380k, making it the 52nd most populous city in United States. It is known for its very hot and dry summers with chilly cold nights and low rainfall averaging around 165mm annually. There is definitely a Bakersfield accident attorney near me at nearby communities and neighborhood.
- Make the call: Make the call to your state’s bar association to speak with an agent. Going through this route may present you with an opportunity to speak with an attorney who is geographically close to you.
- Call various law firms; Once you have been directed, don’t hesitate to call the law firm to speak with a lawyer and file in your case. We are certain you will get specialized answers this way.